Well, here I am already with an update.
I had two doses of the Methotrexate. I felt sick each time I took it and the day to two days after made me feel yucky. I was extremely out of breath the second time I took it. Like, climbing a flight of stairs made me feel like I had climbed a mountain. I called to check in with my doctor and they wanted to see me. So, I had chest X-rays and labs. He switched me from Methotrexate to Sulfasalazine.
I knew nothing of the drug so I quickly did some research. It seemed simple enough. I picked up my prescription and started with the first dose. I was to gradually increase it over 4 weeks.
The next morning after my shower I noticed how itchy I was. I thought about all the things in my life that could cause me to be so itchy. I had bought a new deodorant so I thought it was from that. I took a Benadryl because I was covered in hives/welts and the itching would not stop. I took my next dose and the same thing happened. Lots of itching but I thought it was from the cooler temps and dry skin. Later that night the itching was so bad that I wanted to peel my face off. That was new. I took two Benadryl in hopes to get some rest.
I called my doctor to ask if this was a common thing or something that would pass over time. He called and spoke to me and told me that if I'm itching just after a few doses that a rash would be to follow if I continued. That would mean an allergic reaction. So, he took me off that.
He gave me three options to think about and discuss. The first medication he mentioned came with some not so pleasant side effects. I'll be honest. He said 2 out of 3 people experience chronic diarrhea for up to 6 weeks. Um, no thank you.
The second was another pill. A fairly new drug. Expensive..... like $1500/month. I explained to him the type of insurance we have (we get a cut on prescriptions but it's not a lot). He figured this would not be a good option for me unless I spoke to our insurance. He then thought of another drug to try based on their "customer care".
So, as long as insurance approves me, it sounds like I will be starting a once a month injection that will only cost me $5/month (thanks to their awesome deductible paying plan). I'm not entirely thrilled on giving myself shots again but hey, whatever might help! Plus, it's only once a month instead of weekly. Also, no pill swallowing or keeping track of doses. I'm excited to try it and I pray it helps.
I'm so done with RA. After all of this my head and my stomach are a mess. So many new heavy drugs in so little time. Ugh.
I'm just thankful all my labs so far have shown my liver is handling it. The only thing that came back for concern was the amount of inflammation in my body.... but when your hand is swollen and your body is attacking your own joints that's to be expected.
Hopefully this is the last of my updates on this until I start my new meds.
No comments:
Post a Comment